When You Are Facing A Support Issue

Whether you are going through a divorce and are concerned about having enough money to maintain your standard of living or are an unmarried parent who recently split from your child's mother or father, financial concerns often accompany these types of life changes. In cases where your family law matter also involves issues related to support, you need to understand the related laws and your options.

Support issues in family law cases primarily involve child support, spousal support, alimony pendente lite and alimony. There are key differences between these types of support. For example, where child support is determined by statutory guidelines and is therefore required; spousal support is never guaranteed and may be denied. Additionally, an economically-disadvantaged spouse has the option of petitioning for pre-divorce support or post-divorce support.

Can Support Amounts Ever Be Modified?

Since 1990, Deborah Zitomer Esquire, LLC, has provided strong legal representation to individuals in Norristown and the surrounding Pennsylvania counties who are facing divorce, embroiled in child custody disputes or have experienced significant hardships post-divorce.

Events that may warrant the modification of a child support, spousal support or alimony order include:

  • Experience a significant and sustained reduction in income due to a job loss or disability
  • See your income or an ex-spouse's income significantly increase
  • Remarry or have an ex-spouse who remarries
  • Assume financial responsibility for an additional minor-aged child
  • Have a child who graduates from high school or turns age 18

If you have questions about a support issue, call 610-879-8473 to discuss your case with a lawyer or contact us online.